02 July . 2021
Simple Home Improvements
Great DIY Ideas for Your Home
For the past three decades, more and more people have been choosing to make Estrella their home. Whether it’s a new build in one of the many newer neighborhoods or an established pre-loved older house, the desert setting and resort-style living have an irresistible draw nationwide. One of the key benefits of living in a community like Estrella is a virtually turnkey experience when buying a new home. Still, many new Estrella residents and homeowners have house project ideas in mind to create a home that reflects their style or perhaps simply to refresh their existing home.
In this blog post, we’ll turn the spotlight onto some simple home improvements and great DIY ideas for homes to inspire you to make the most of your Estrella home while keeping the investment flexible. Since these are easy house project ideas to tackle and not huge renovations, you can easily have every room looking its best, not only increasing the value of your home, but also providing enhanced comfort and enjoyment for your family for years to come.
Indoor House Project Ideas
- Fresh paint gives everything a lift! This simple, budget-friendly option is perfect for those who love great DIY ideas for homes that won’t require construction or renovations. With color choices spanning the spectrum from bold to neutral, you can never go wrong with an elegant and understated color palate. With a little preparation and some elbow grease, you can easily refresh a single room or your entire home in just a couple of days. For inspiration, we are always excited when the Pantone color of the year is unveiled.
- Update the lighting. Next to painting, investing in new lighting fixtures can really up the value of your home. New lighting offers modern built home improvements that pay off big in style and value. It’s surprising just how much difference upgraded light fixtures can make to a room’s ambiance! With choices ranging from modern, contemporary, traditional, industrial, and rustic to transitional designs that complement virtually any decor, it can be so much fun to choose your look. One key is to select fixtures in colors that complement existing hardware finishes. For example, while some mixing and matching of metals will work, you don’t want to upgrade only to end up with clashing gold and silver. Once the new fixtures are in place, you can switch on a whole new look for your home!
- Add some sleek extra storage. Practically everyone can use extra storage to help reduce clutter, even in larger homes. Add some sleek metal shelving or built-in wall cupboards to the garage or another utility area, or build a storage shed in the yard. Use these to store everything from tools and sports equipment to seasonal clothing, cleaning products, and non-perishable household staples you can buy in bulk.
- New countertops and/or fixtures can pack a lot of style punch to give kitchens and bathrooms a facelift. For many DIY enthusiasts, these upgrades are usually well within the realm of ability, but you can always hire a professional if you’re not up to the task. Replacing old countertops or fixtures are simple home improvements that will give a fresh new look to your existing design without needing a huge renovation budget.
- Upgrade your flooring. While this can be one of the larger and more expensive house project ideas, new flooring can provide the biggest home improvement transformation of all! If your flooring is in good shape, you can still upgrade the look and style by adding some area rugs or throw rugs into the mix. Different textures and patterns can highlight and define different functions in rooms—from creating a cozy reading nook, to a bold living room or dining room statement rug that ties the room decor together.
Outdoor House Project Ideas
- Refresh the overall landscaping. Better curb appeal is one benefit of a DIY landscaping project, but creating a lush oasis or natural retreat in your yard can’t be beaten. Add an outdoor gas fire pit for cooler nights in the desert, or refresh the patio area with new furniture. Landscape features create natural areas of interest, and help your home stand out from the crowd in a way that the entire family can enjoy.
- Plant some flowers or a garden for fresh veggies and herbs. Want to conserve space? Build patio planters to add a variety of plants and flowers that bloom seasonally or grow all year-round.
- Add outdoor shades and retractable awnings to windows and patio areas. Arizona has more than 300+ sunny days per year, so shade is always welcome around your home. Awnings can block a lot of the daytime heat in summer and help keep the chill out during the winter months, so your HVAC functions more efficiently and your energy bills stay more manageable year-round.
- Upgrade your front door or give it a fresh, bold color to really amp up the awesome! Your front door sets the tone for your home. If it’s looking a bit outdated or dull, it shows. Spruce it all up with a contemporary replacement door, or add a fresh coat of paint for a pop of color that’s as pleasing to the eye as it is inviting to guests.
- Attract wild desert birds to visit your yard by adding birdbaths, feeders, and native plants, and give yourself a wonderful meditative focal point for the outdoors. The Arizona Audubon Society states that “by planting native flowering plants, trees, and shrubs, you can become part of the growing movement to create pockets of habitat within the city that are essential to the survival of our native birds, butterflies, bees, and more!” A plants for birds database can help you find exactly the right mix for your home in the High Sonoran Desert.
Residents, don’t forget to consult with your neighborhood HOA or the Architectural Committee for approvals of any new outdoor paint colors or any structural changes.
Want more indoor house project ideas? The home-centric experts at HGTV are always inspiring, and 50 DIY home improvement ideas for under $50 is quite a bargain!
For more DIY ideas for the outdoors, check out this helpful list of 34 great DIY ideas for homes from Family Handyman.
Check out other ways you spruce up your space!
Previous PostShould You Rent or Buy?
Older PostLocal Business Spotlight: Lily Joy Salon & Danny’s Shave Parlor
Want More Information?
- 2022 (8)
- 2021 (52)
- 2020 (52)
- 2019 (58)
- 2018 (48)
- 2017 (53)
- 2016 (31)
- 2015 (10)