12 August . 2020
Made in Arizona Products
Five Iconic Arizona Products
Arizona has many well-known natural wonders, including the gorgeous High Sonoran Desert surrounding our Estrella community. What many people don’t realize is the wide range of well-known and soon to be well-known products manufactured right here in our state. Shop locally when you can, and buy local Arizona products to support local businesses, jobs, and the economy. Community begins at home.
Here are five incredible Arizona products to get you started. Best of all? You can enjoy them right within the Estrella community.
- The PING Factory - Scottsdale is world famous for its championship golf courses, the Waste Management Phoenix Open (a favorite of PGA players), and of course, the industry-leading PING golf clubs. Professional and amateur golfers worldwide have PING clubs in their golf bags, and the famous PING club-fitting process is second-to-none. Playing any of Arizona’s world-class golf courses with PING clubs is an adventure, especially when you visit the Golf Club of Estrella and play at the award-winning Nicklaus designed course in your own community. Want to see how PING clubs are manufactured? Check out Revolution Golf’s video tour of the factory!
- Penn Tennis Balls - Anyone who has ever played or watched tennis or racquetball knows the name Penn. The bright yellow tennis balls in the iconic yellow, white, and red pop-top cans are beloved by amateurs, pros, and dogs worldwide. According to AZBigMedia, “Penn Championship is the best-selling tennis ball in the U.S. and represents the standard by which all other tennis balls are measured.” Whether practicing your serve or playing a friendly match, you don’t need to go far in Estrella to find a court to play on. Tennis courts are located in South Lake Park as well as in CantaMia, our 55+ village. Not into tennis? Not a problem. Check out other Court Sports amenities nearby.
- America’s #1 Hotdog - OK, we know this title alone could spark some big debates over the barbecue, or even ignite some old school East Coast/West Coast rivalries over toppings, but it’s true. Phoenix-based Bar-S Foods has held the record for America’s #1 best-selling hotdog for the past fifteen years. The national value brand manufactures quality meat products for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks, proving you don’t have to sacrifice great taste to stay on budget. You can choose your toppings to stay loyal to your regional roots - whether New York, Chicago, or even Arizona’s own Sonoran Dog! Find recipes and new toppings to try with family and friends.
Turns out hot dogs are a very versatile meal base, and of course, even the pickiest kids love them (usually served in a pool of ketchup). Whether you cook them in your kitchen or grill ‘em up in the backyard, hot dogs always taste like summer, ball games, and barbecues. Speaking of the All-American pastime, the Ketchup/Mustard/Relish races at our local Arizona Diamondbacks games are another fun tradition - with three lucky kid competitors dressed as hot dogs vying for the spot of top dog. Hilarity ensues. (Go mustard!) We can always share the fun and flavor at home, while building some pretty sweet memories. And since every meal deserves a dessert, and every chocolate lover deserves to indulge once in a while...
- Cerreta Candy Company - Chocolate and candy are always fan favorites, and Cerreta is seriously good chocolate. The Cerreta Candy Company has been a Valley fixture and favorite since Jim Cerreta, Sr. first opened his candy factory doors in Glendale, Arizona. Today, 50+ years and four generations later, it’s still family-owned and operated. You can buy Cerreta Candy in local retail shops, select grocery stores and online, or even GrubHub them to your door! Pro tip: Cerreta Candy makes great holiday gifts, and the Arizona themed chocolates are a subtle reminder to everyone that Winter here is why we live in Arizona! Normally factory tours are available, where you can watch old-fashioned candy-making done by hand by members of the Cerreta family and staff. Yes, there are free samples during your tour, plus coupons for the Cerreta Candy Store. Of course you’ll want to stock up on some Cerreta chocolates, too! Kids love the build your own chocolate pizza activity, and there are fun interactive take home kits. They make great family projects and leave behind sweet memories, too. (Watch out for sticky fingers.) With tours off the table for now, look for Cerreta Chocolate in local stores or online. Be sure to check out the Cerreta website for tour availability before you visit.
- China Mist Tea offers real Arizona products as well as real Arizona tea. On the other hand, AriZona Iced Tea was founded in Brooklyn, New York, and it’s headquartered in Long Island to this day. The founder remembered his asthmatic uncle moved to Arizona, so he thought the name would be catchy, like Snapple - his leading market competitor. (All roads lead to home, right?) Sure we drink plenty of AriZona Iced Tea here, but it's not quite as refreshing as traditional iced tea on a warm day. Many Arizona restaurants, cafés and bistros serve China Mist, including many in the Estrella community. People can’t get enough of the crisp, clean, and often exotic flavor combinations. You can find China Mist Tea in the Coffee/Tea aisle in local grocery stores, too.
The Prickly Pear Tea Company adds some Sonoran desert flavor to traditional green and black teas and chai tea. Since they’re one of Phoenix Magazine’s Three Local Products to Try This Summer - we predict that Prickly Pear Tea Company will become even more widely available as more people discover it. Find Prickly Pear Tea Company’s uniquely Arizona products at local retail shops and Farmer’s Markets across the Greater Phoenix area, including Estrella Lakeside Market open October through April from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
So the next time you’re on the golf course, hitting a tennis ball or craving something sweet, you won’t need to go far, as Arizona is home to some of America’s most beloved products. We would love to see you share a photo the next time you’re enjoying your favorite local product by tagging us @EstrellaAZLife!
Want More Information?
- 2021 (45)
- 2020 (58)
- 2019 (61)
- 2018 (52)
- 2017 (63)
- 2016 (36)
- 2015 (14)